Job Captain/Architect 1
Fergus Garber Architects Palo Alto, California, USA
Job Type: Full Time
Years Experience: 3-6
Open Date: 08/12/2020 Close Date: 12/01/2020
Fergus Garber Architects is a residential firm of 20 located in Palo Alto, California. Our practice focuses on custom high end single family homes, with an appreciation for sustainability.
- Under the supervision of a project manager or principal, develops the design and leads the documentation through all phases of project
- Identifies design issues, offers design solutions, and manages complex coordination tasks
- Coordinates with project team, client, consultants, and contractors in a professional manner
- Responds to RFIs, submittals, and shop drawings
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- 3-6 years of experience in custom single family residential
- B Arch or M Arch degree from a NAAB accredited architecture program
- Very strong design and graphic skills with an ability to express ideas real-time through hand sketching
- Fluent with BIM and other software programs, ArchiCAD (preferred)
- An excellent communicator and team player; who has experience working in a collaborative office environment
- Excited to take on new responsibilities and has the ability and experience to manage up, down and across
- Comfortable with the challenge of getting work done in our current fluid workplace environment that includes working from home, the traditional office and the variants and combinations of these models that are likely to be experienced throughout the pandemic.
If you meet these qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
Fergus Garber Architects is looking for new collaborators to join our design-oriented and quick paced office. FGA understands the importance of working on projects from inception to completion and strives to build successful design teams that foster an atmosphere of creative thought and professional development. Our award-winning work spans many styles and scales, and we’re looking for talented and well-rounded staff to join our team. We have an on-staff environmental engineer who provides guidance on current best practices for sustainability. We provide a high level of attention, management and environmental stewardship to residential clients that have a long term interest in their property. Our clients value our ability to understand them. We create beautiful homes in a range of architectural styles that both we and our clients are proud of. The essential qualities of good architecture: strong plans, good proportions, and high attention to detail are the foundation of our work.
Current Working Environment at FGA: FGA is located in Santa Clara County. Our employees are the most important aspect of our business and we value them as such. We closely follow the county regulations for COVID-19, including working from home. If and when the restrictions are lifted, we will likely utilize a hybrid format for attendance in the office and working from home, with employees working in the office a few days a week to allow for camaraderie and collaboration while still providing ample physical space for each individual. Employees with elevated health risks will not participate in our in-office work schedule. Once a vaccination is developed and is available, we hope to resume working from our office on a daily basis. In the meantime, we are utilizing online systems and tools to help emulate the open, collaborative studio conditions that we all enjoy.
WHY JOIN FGA?:
- Great people and great projects!
- AIA Silicon Valley Firm Award, 2018
- Competitive salary and bonuses
- Health, dental, vision, & life insurance
- Company contributions (match) to Simple IRA retirement savings accounts
- Generous paid vacation and holiday benefits
- Allowance for Professional Development and Reimbursement for passed ARE tests
- Bonus after completing exams for architect license
- Annual membership to professional organizations such as AIA and NCARB
- Office supports employees to attend National AIA convention and Monterey Design Conference
- The entire firm visits all office project job sites together
- Office eats lunch together every Tuesday (currently on Zoom)
- Pre-tax dollars for public transit cost, bicycle commute allowance and in-house bicycle parking
- Walking distance to Caltrain station and convenient places to eat lunch
- Cereal station and endless snacks (seriously!)
- Happy hours and flexible work schedule
Materials to Submit: Resume, cover letter, and portfolio of work
Submit Via: firstname.lastname@example.org